National Peach Cobbler Day
2 15-ounce cans sliced peaches in syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
If you don't have self-rising flour, substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour mixed with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Drain 1 can of peaches; reserve the syrup from the other.
3. Place the butter in a 9- by 12-inch baking dish. Put in the oven and heat until it's melted.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and sugar. Stir in the milk and the reserved syrup. Pour the batter over the melted butter in the baking dish. Do not stir!
5. Arrange the peaches over the batter. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Bake for 1 hour.
6. The cobbler is done when the batter rises around the peaches and the crust is thick and golden brown.
7. Serve with ice-cream.